IMPORTANT: All posts, pages, art and written work found in this blog are licensed through Creative Commons:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
(NOTE: For all Reference Letters, please see: Reference Letters )
Andrés Melo Cousineau
Toronto, Canada / Bogotá, Colombia
Multidisciplinary achievements and further integration of diverse skills, Toronto, Canada. Nov 2016 – Dec 2016.
- Further development of Humanity’s Skills: publishing in Rarefactions of: a) “Writings on Education 2016” (link) , b) “Escritos Procesos de Paz en Colombia, 2016”. (link)
- Further development of Artistic Skills: publishing in photography website of: a) “Album: Toronto Street Art II” (link), b) “Album: Autumn Toronto 2016” (link), and c) organization of multiple model photo sessions through my Modelmayhem website. (link)
- Further development of ESL skills: a) offered a contract for an important institution to teach English for Academic Purposes (EAP) skills, though the contract did not come to fruition because of very poor logistics. Even though quit previous job in advance, still: a) prepared ADVANCED EAP “Listening and Speaking Skills” focused on further developing critical-thinking skills in potential students (Pearson’s excellent LEAP Series), b) prepared ADVANCED EAP “Reading and Writing Skills” focused on further developing critical-thinking skills in potential students (+Academic Vocabulary, +Advanced Grammar), and c) reconsidered already taught ESL Literature Course to be applied at the University Level.
- Further development of Therapy Skills. Permanent and simultaneous recovery from arthritic illness. Able to further narrow recovery times. (link)
ESL Teacher, EF, Education First, Toronto, Canada. July 2016 – Oct 2016.
- Continued development of a topic-oriented teaching approach to ESL. Focus placed on using English outside the classroom for transformational purposes.
- Creative teaching of topic-based “Conversation Course”, as well as multiple General English (GE) Courses. Special focus on “Professional Students”. Constant use of technology, iLab and the excellent EF books.
- Special Course Teacher Topics: “What is Intelligence? Multiple Intelligences”
- Great emphasis placed on independent self-assessment and self-directed learning. Self-motivation as the sole real path to learning. All exemplified by teacher.
- ESL beyond the teaching of English; “Education First”. Focus on “the Big Picture” (forms, functions, topics). Mapping as an avenue to learning.
- First ever “subbing” for multiple courses such as: Advanced “Current Affairs”, “Phrasal Verbs”, “General English”.
- Part of a great learning community.
Post-TESL Training, ACE Certificate in Teaching Occupation Specific Language, Major focus on Business English, Toronto, Canada. January 2016-April 2016. Presented multiple “Task Journals” with unique creative solutions for diverse issues in the teaching of English for Specific Purposes (ESP). (Outstanding Final GPA with DISTINCTION: 97.5%)
ESL Teacher, CLC Canadian Language Centre, Toronto, Canada. September 2015-April 2016.
- Further developed task-based teaching approach to ESL. (Topics include: Gender Issues, Multiple Intelligences, Technology Issues, Living in Toronto, Leadership, Sustainable Cities, Environment, Resumes and Interviews, Fashion, …)
- Education founded on Critical Thinking based on years of dedication to Socratic education in the Humanities. Unique multi-disciplinary approach.
- Incorporation of new resources towards a more holistic and critical approach to the Communicative Method. (Touchstone, Let’s Talk, Fifty-Fifty, Ontario Reader, Focus on Grammar, Market Leader, English Unlimited, Just Right, Michael Dean, …)
- Survival Skills and Multiple Level instruction in a multicultural setting of students coming from all corners of the planet (Brazil, Japan, Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Mongolia, Cote d’Ivoire, Spain, Hungary, France, etc.).
- TOEIC /IELTS/CAMBRIDGE exam administration.
- Permanent focus on Speaking and Listening Skills; with particular emphasis on stress, rhythm and intonation.
- Teaching connected to “everyday Canadian life” in the amazing multicultural city of Toronto. Understanding Canadian-specific ESL issues. (Reel Canada, Grab Bag of Canada, NFB, CBC, Gateway to Canada, A Beginning Look at Canada).
- Concern for building ESL education beyond the obvious learning of a language. Language as the path to selfhood. Highly regarded by Students.
- Learning as enjoyment. Focus on student independence and self-assessment.
Toronto Street Art, Photography book. Toronto, Ontario, February 2016. Self-published. Result of 10 years of photographing Toronto’s amazing street art and graffiti. (Canadian ISBN: 978-0-9950004-2-1, included in Archives and Library of Canada.)
Volunteer work, Toronto, Ontario. CanPacific College, April 2015. (Taught Grammar/Writing course for Japanese students). Excellent results.
TESL CANADA Certification, LEVEL II PERMANENT, Toronto, June, 2015. (8000+ of certified TESL teaching experience and training.) link
TESL Certification I and II Canada/Ontario, Toronto, Ontario. CCLCS (Canadian Centre for Language and Cultural Studies). September, 2014- February 2015. Certified “TESL Canada” (Level I), March 2015 ; Certified “TESL Ontario” (Level II), April 2015. link
- FINAL PROJECT, Business English Class: “Raising Finance Through Microfinance”: FINAL PROJECT TESL CANADA
- PRACTICUM TESL CANADA: PRACTICUM TESL CANADA (pdf)
- PRACTICUM TESL ONTARIO: PRACTICUM TESL ONTARIO (pdf)
Certified Member ATIO, Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, 2004-2015 (English-Spanish).
ESP Teacher, Business English for Entrepreneurs, EAFIT, Bogotá, Colombia, 2012-2013.
- Use of KEYNOTE presentations for BUSINESS-CENTERED English classes. link
- Small classes composed of leading Colombian entrepreneurs (Outstanding reviews by students).
- Use of the Excellent ESP-oriented texts by Market-Leader.
- Communicative Approach balanced personally by creative use of language forms.
- Examination following creative Business Case Studies presented by Students using Power Point/Keynote. link
- Integration of Digital Learning via Apps, Apple TV, iphone, Ipad and websites such as Learnist. link
- Received simultaneously diploma for App development: “iOS 5 and Objective C” from IT Ministry (89%). link
- Publication PYME Magazine “The Business of Change”.
- BUSINESS ENGLISH BROCHURE: BUSINESS ENGLISH BROCHURE
- Excellent TOEFL result: 114. Taken to experience directly a student taking the TOEFL exam.
- Linked-In: Andrés Melo Cousineau.link
EFL Teacher and Official Translator, Centro Colombo Americano, Bogotá, Colombia, 1990-95, 1997-2001. link
- Cooperated extensively in creating a closely knit teaching and learning community which had personally geared developmental programs for teachers through highly qualified and experienced co-workers acting as “Assistant Developers”. Was ranked as ‘Outstanding’ by three of them.
- Participated actively in TDTS sessions (Teacher Development Training Sessions)
- Taught very creatively and with great success the advanced course on Literature entitled “Let’s Celebrate Literature” following the excellent text “World Writer’s Today”, a multicultural approach to literary understanding. Developed one “computer-magazine” with the student’s textual analysis of the different short stories.
- Actively and imaginatively created multiple ways of aiding student learning within an eclectic and communicative approach to EFL language teaching. Contributed to clarity in grammatical presentations as well as developed language games and motivating activities within the classroom. Developed great interpersonal skills through the monthly change of classes made up of students differentiated both by age (adults and adolescents) as well as by socio-economic background.
- Frequently gave private tutoring at all levels. Compiled a set of readings in order for the student to benefit as much as possible from these quite expensive classes.
- Specialized in the advanced course on Writing and Expression; editing of student magazine with poetry, articles and creative thought. WRITING COURSE MAGAZINE, LITERATURE COURSE MAGAZINE.
- Taught the advanced Grammar course entitled “Enjoying Grammar” by implementing a topic-based structured course characterized by having a communicative and contextualized approach. Created multiple data bases for different grammar topics.
- Participated in all language development programs within the CCA, and obtained ‘Certificates’ in different English Language Teaching Symposiums.
Coursera on-line course, “The Age of Sustainable Development”, Bogotá/Santa Marta, Colombia, January-May 2014. link
- Introduction to the interdisciplinary field of Sustainable Development: “the most urgent challenge facing humanity.”
- Course offered by world-famous professor Jeffrey Sachs: Outstanding final grade (Certificate with distinction”).
- Further development of a holistic understanding of multiple fields (economics, politics, physical sciences …).
- Extended participation via critical analysis of Sustainable Development through essay entitled “Reflections: Political Thoughts on Sustainable Development (A Commentary on Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs’s Coursera course. link
Investment House Project in Colombian Caribbean Coast, Santa Marta (Special Cultural, Historic and Tourist District of Colombia), 2013-2014.
- Invested in small Caribbean port city in order primarily to understand the dynamics of smaller cities in the Developing World thereby acquiring a more holistic understanding of modern globalization and multiple everyday issues regarding development.
- Co-designed architectural plans for unique house with on-site architect and constructor. Supervised step-by-step implementation of objectives. Created cooperatively a uniquely beautiful house with multiple aspects of personalization connected to the locality itself, (e.g., fences used for windows.)
- Created a photographic Portfolio of the whole process which can be found on my photography website: link All workers who participated received photographs from the process itself. Their work here involved a purposeful sense of pride.
Engaged both economically as well as in a leadership role with workers/architect/constructor/community. Pushed to have the best of all come to light. (e.g., sign regarding garbage.)
PhD Thesis, “Commentary on Aristotle´s Nicomachean Ethics“, Bogotá, Colombia, 2012-present; (permanently postponed, in part, due to recovery from illness). link
PhD Research, “Charles Taylor’s philosophy and the critique by the “Straussian” Aristotle in the context of Classical Political Philosophy” or “Happiness and Virtue in Aristotle”, Toronto, 2003-2011. link
Creation Experimental Internet Blog “Rarefactions”, an attempt at PUBLIC reflection in political philosophy through a more holistic participation in “Classical Liberal Education”, Toronto/Bogotá 2006-2014. http://www.amelo14.wordpress.com (visits: approx. 100,000; Twitter: amelo14)
Professional Photography Page, culmination of 10-year self-taught development of photographic skills with a view to holistic education: www.andresmelophotography.com, 2003-2014.
Implementation of Permacultural Principles, Ecological Orchard within Samarkanda Coffee Farm, near Bogotá, Colombia; 104 carefully mapped interacting biological species within a 20×20 space without use of pesticides, inorganic fertilizers, or fungicides; intense in-depth research 2008-2010, site implementation 2011 (specific bibliography can be found at link ). Possible implementation in Santa Marta as well to further holistic education.
Faculty Professor, Universidad Javeriana, part-time (due to illness), Bogotá, Colombia, 2002-2003.
- Lecturer for courses: “Political Philosophy I” as well as “Philosophy of History V”.
- Received a grading of “Good-Excellent” by the University Professor Grading System.
- Simultaneous development of PhD program in Political Philosophy with outstanding results while recovering from serious physical illness. (A+)
- Translation of philosophical texts.
- In charge of implementing both English and French postgraduate entrance exams.
Certified Official Translator Colombia, Ministry of Justice, Bogotá, Colombia, 1996 (English-Spanish; Spanish-English). For an extensive list of translations see below. (Outstanding exam score of 89 over 100.)
TESL, Toronto, Ontario: TESL Certificate Program at Benns International Schools. September–November 2003. (A+ average in all modules). Completing certification via CCLCS.
Paper translations and private classes, Self-employed, 20+ years, (Banks: Citibank, Banco Ganadero, Lloyds Bank; English Institutions: Elite, Life; Pharmaceutical Laboratories: Merck, Sharp and Dohme; Petroleum Companies: Swaco, Schlumberger; Importers: Danisco Ingredients; Telecommunication companies: Radiotronica, Celumovil; Hospitals: Fundación Cardio-Infantil; Public Corporations: Colciencias). Translated multiple medical investigation protocols for Merck, Sharp and Dohme (Protocols: MK954/937-0A, MK-733 985-0A, Cuprimine, Pepcidine, MK-0991 and Montelukast vs Beclomethasone), ”Inhibition of Thromboxane”, “Basic Clinical Research Coordinator Training Program”, “Nasal and septal fractures”, Protocol V210, INVIMA Decree 677, as well as different kinds of official papers, juridical (Birth, Death and Marriage certificates) and economic texts (Income Tax forms, Public deeds), multiple translations in Toronto including work on the AIDS Conference 2006; multiple translations in Santa Marta, Colombia: 1997-present.
Simultaneous translations, Self-employed, i) Ministerio de Comercio Exterior “Taller Sobre Cuestiones Aduaneras; Acceso al Mercado en la Ronda de Uruguay”, June 2-6 1997, Cartagena de Indias, and, ii) “Taiwan Trade Mission to Central and South America”, Interlink Enterprise Co., June, 1997 iii) “Amway Seminar on Customer Focused Quality”, August 25 and 26, 1997, and iv) Caricom-Colombia Negotiations on International Trade, Ministry of Commerce, February 1998, v) XEROX new products and management (3-day seminar), April 1998, vi) OKIDATA printers, May 6, 1998, v) Electronic Commerce May 7, 1998.
Doorman, Building at Avenue du Docteur-Penfield, Montreal, 1988-1990. Simultaneously studying at McGill University.
Ph.D. candidate, Political Philosophy, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá, Colombia, 2001- 2003.
- Publication article University Student Journal Cuadrantephi.
- Winner of the first Javeriana University “Open Professor Position Contest” (2001) with a comparative article: “On Language: Heidegger and Taylor”.
- Outstanding average up to the present A+.
M.A., Political Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, 1995-96.
- Final Outstanding Grade Point Average of A/A-.
- Seminars: Nicomachean Ethics (Thomas Pangle), Problems of Political Community, Freud and Plato on Eros, Albert Camus.
- Finished under severe conditions of illness.
B.A., Philosophy and Literature, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia, 1990-95.
- Final Outstanding Grade Point Average of 4.6 over 5.0 (‘A+’ average)
- Magna Cum Laude Thesis: “Nietzsche: Transformations on his Perspective of Art and its Relationship to Ethical Responsibility”
- Participated actively through written work and oral discussions in the internal forums.
Joint Honours Program, McGill University, Montreal, 1986-90. (Transferred to Los Andes University above)
- Political Science and Philosophy
- High Grade Point Average A-/B+ in a very demanding program with some of the most renowned Canadian professors (e.g. Charles Taylor)
- Simultaneously working as full-time doorman to pay for my university.
OTHER HOLISTIC SKILLS
Art Web Pages
- Photography: www.andresmelophotography.com (also, ModelMayhem site: ModelMayhem photography , +40,000 visits)
- UDEMY Drone Film School Certifications, I, II, III. Toronto online, September 2016.
- Team captain for both the soccer and basketball teams throughout the whole of High School.
- Participated in intense and regular training sessions for both sports.
- Learned and shared ability to lead a group under complex circumstances in pursuit of specific goals.
- Multiple medals and many 1st place finishes in very competitive arenas.
- Natural athletic ability.
- Understanding of the dynamics of chronic arthritic illness in terms of traditional and alternative medicine.
- Recovery after being told needed to adapt to the idea of never walking again. Total time unable to walk: 2 years.
- Development of essential skills required to understand long-term projects and goals. Total recovery time: approximately 10 years.
- Comprehension of the vulnerability of the ill and the serious issues they face in our modern hyperactive world.
Language and Computer Proficiency
- Completely fluent in Spanish and English language skills: Completely fluent in French reading; good in writing and speaking (Lived in Quebec 4 years). Excellent Ancient Greek skills (Teaching Assistant). Use of Mac OS X “El Capitan”, Linux “Ubuntu” and Windows 10; and some HTML and Web 2.0 for Internet. Very capable use of iPad/iPhone technology for holistic education through multiplicity of apps.
- Having lived and studied for long periods of time in both a Latin American and a North American setting, I have begun to better understand these distinct cultures, their history, their current dilemmas and their future sustainable possibilities in a more holistic fashion.
This page has the following sub pages.