“As I see it, the ultimate goal of natural farming is not the growing of crops …. but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” (Masanobu Fukuoka, here )
(NOTE: Many of the books are partially available as Google Books. Books with an asterisk (*) are specially recommended)
*1. Alternative Construction: Contemporary Natural Building Methods, Lynne Elizabeth (Editor), Cassandra Adams (Editor), here
*2. Back to Basics, Abigail R. Gehring, here
3. Self Sufficient Life And How To Live It Updated And Expanded, John Seymour, here
6. Builders Of the Pacific Coast, Lloyd Kahn, here
7. Shelter, Lloyd Kahn, here
*8. The Art of Natural Building, Smith W Kennedy, here
9. Building Without Borders, Joseph F. Kennedy, here
*11. Places of the Soul: Architecture and Environmental Design as a Healing Art, Christopher Day, here
12. The Timeless Way of Building, Christopher Alexander, here
*13. A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction; Christopher Alexander, here
B. NATURAL BUILDING (SPECIFIC PRACTICAL METHODS)
*1. Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs, Clarke Snell, here
*2. Hand Sculpted House: A Practical & Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage, Ianto Evans, here
*3. New Bamboo: Architecture and Design, Marcelo Villegas, here
*4. Earthbag Building, Kaki K. Hunter, here
5. Earth-sheltered Houses, Rob Roy, here
6. The Stonebuilder’s Primer: A Step-By-Step Guide for Owner-Builders, Charles Long, here
7. Building with Cob: A Step-by-Step Guide, Adam Weismann, here
8. Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat, David Stiles, here
*9. Adobe Houses for Today: Flexible Plans for Your Adobe Home, Laura Sanchez, Alex Sanchez, here
*10. Serious Straw Bale: A Construction Guide for All Climates, Paul Lacinski, here
*11. Stoneview: How to Build an Eco-Friendly Little Guesthouse, Rob Roy, here
*12. The Natural Plaster Book: Earth, Lime, and Gypsum Plasters for Natural Homes, Cedar Rose Guelberth, here
13. Graphic Guide to Frame Construction, Rob Thallon, here
14. Tiny Houses, Mimi Zeiger, here
C. ENERGY AND DESIGN
*1. The Homeowners’ Guide To Renewable Energy, Dan Chiras, here
*2. Solar House: Passive Heating and Cooling, Dan Chiras, here
3. Solar Electricity Handbook, Michael Boxwell, here
*4. SEE MAGAZINES BELOW: “Home Power” and “Mother Earth News.”
**5. EXCELLENT DESIGN SOFTWARE: “Home and Landscape Design Studio” for Mac by Punch Software. here
*1. Gaia’s Garden: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture, Toby Hemenway, here
*2. The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming, Masanobu Fukuoka, here
*3. Edible Forest Gardens: Volumes One and Two, Dave Jacke (Author), Eric Toensmeier (Author), here
4. The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicines to Life on Earth, Stephen Buhner, here
5. Rodale’s Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Herbs, Claire Kowalchik, here
6. The Permaculture Way: Practical Steps to Create a Self-Sustaining World, Graham Bell, here
7. The Book Of Bamboo: A Comprehensive Guide to This Remarkable Plant, Its Uses, and Its History, David Farrelly, here
8. The Craft & Art of Bamboo, Revised & Updated: 30 Eco-Friendly Projects to Make for Home & Garden, Carol Stangler, here
9. The Organic Gardener’s Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control, Barbara W. Ellis, here
10. Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden, Stella Otto, here
11. The New Organic Grower: A Master’s Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener, Eliot Coleman, here
12. The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible 10th Anniversary, 2nd Edition, Edward C. Smith, here
13. The Flower Gardener’s Bible: Time-Tested Techniques, Creative Designs, and Perfect Plants for Colorful Gardens, Lewis Hill, here
14. Plant-Driven Design: Creating Gardens That Honor Plants, Place, and Spirit, Scott Ogden, here
*15. Serene Gardens: Creating Japanese Design and Detail in the Western Garden, Yoko Kawaguchi, here
*16. Perennial Vegetables, Eric Toensmeier, here
17. The Magic of Monet’s Garden: His Planting Plans and Color Harmonies, Derek Fell, here
18. Van Gogh’s Gardens, Derek Fell, here
*1. The Joy of Keeping Chickens, Jennifer Megyesi, here
2. Whole Heart, Whole Horse: Building Trust Between Horse and Rider, Mark Rashid, here
3. The Everything Labrador Retriever Book, Kim Campbell Thornton, here
*4. The Art of Raising a Puppy, Monks of New Skete, here
5. Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens 3rd Edition, Gail Damerow, here
*6. The Backyard Beekeeper – Revised and Updated: An Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden, Kim Flottum, here
7. Storey’s Guide to Raising Horses: Breeds/Care/Facilities, Heather Smith Thomas, here
8. Storey’s Guide to Training Horses, Heather Smith Thomas, here
*9. How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond, Cesar Millan, here
*10. Attracting Butterflies & Hummingbirds to Your Backyard, Sally Roth, here
F. SUSTAINABILITY (MANURE, COMPOST, SOIL, WATER …)
*1. The Humanure Handbook, Third Edition: A Guide to Composting Human Manure, Joseph Jenkins, here
*2. Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners, James B. Nardi, here
*3. The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains, Art Ludwig, here
4. Design For Water, Heather Kinkade-levario, here
5. The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual, James Green, here
6. The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines, Matthew Wood, here
*7. Building Bamboo Fences, Isao Yoshikawa, here
*8. Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health, Rosemary Gladstar, here
9. Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques, The Gardeners and Farmers of Terre Vivante, here
*10. The Complete Compost Gardening Guide, Barbara Pleasant, here
G. ARTICLES FROM MAGAZINES
*A. HOME POWER MAGAZINE here
a. HP #130: “A Life in Hydro”, Ron MacLeod, April 2009.
b. HP #80: “Of Earth and Sky”, Peter Berney, Dec. 2000.
c. HP # 103: “Adobe: Building with Earth”, Quentin Wilson, Oct. 2004.
d. HP #90: “Apples and Oranges: Choosing a Home-sized wind generator.”, Mick Sagrillo, Aug. 2002.
e. HP #107: “Cordwood Construction”, Rob Roy, June 2005.
f. HP #133: “Appropriate technology for the developing world.”, Ian Woofenden, Oct 2009.
g. HP #133: “The Switch from Urban to Rural”, Kelly Davidson, Oct 2009.
h. HP #128: “New Light for Learning”, Cecilia Diaz, Dec 2008.
i. HP #115: “Home Green Home”, Laurie Stone, Oct 2006.
j. HP #135: “The Path to Greener Buildings”, Andy Kerr, Feb 2010.
k. HP #101: “Inexpensive Alternatives”, Zeke Yewdall, June 2004.
l. HP #76: “ A Microhydro Learning Experience”, Louis Woofenden, April 2000.
m. HP #82: “Passive Cooling: Part I”, Cliff Mossberg, April 2001.
n. HP #83: “Passive Cooling: Part II”, Cliff Mossberg, June 2001.
o. HP #110: “Natural Materials for Passive Solar Homes”, Michael Smith, Dec 2005.
p. HP #101: “Straw-bale Building, Chris Magwood, June 2004.
q. HP #90: “Home Sweet Solar Home”, Ken Olson, Aug 2002.
*B. MOTHER EARTH NEWS here
a. Interview of Masanobu Fukuoka here (EXCELLENT MAGAZINE)
C. SOLAR TODAY here
D. THE LAST STRAW here
I. WEBSITES AND WEB VIDEOS
*1. Green Home Building here (EXCELLENT SITE)
2. Dream Green Homes, here (GREEN HOME PLANS)
*3. Cal-Earth, The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture, here
4. Natural Homes, here
*5. Cob Cottage Company, here
1. “Straw Bale House made by single mom”, youtube, here
2. “Straw-bale instructional”, youtube, here
3. “Building with Cob”, youtube, here
4. “Making Cob”, youtube, here
5. “Straw-bale House”, youtube, here
6. “Houses of Straw”, youtube, here
7. “How to make Earthen Plaster”, youtube, here
8. “Natural Alternative Buildings”, youtube, here
9. “Bamboo House Assembly”, youtube, here
10. “Bamboo Living Homes”, youtube, here
11. “Ecodome”, youtube, here
12. “Adobe house”, youtube, here
13. “Making Adobe”, youtube, here
14. “World’s Smallest House”, here
15. “Tiny House”, youtube, here